Good oral hygiene does not simply mean brushing your teeth. It also encompasses a range of various oral habits that you should do daily. Besides visits to your dentist here in Stiles Family Dentistry at Salem, NH, for cleanings and checkups, developing good oral hygiene habits and routines to maintain your oral health is a must.
Do You Practice Proper Oral Hygiene Habits?
Here are tried and true oral hygiene practices you can follow to keep your smile healthy and bright:
- Practice the proper way of brushing your teeth. Your toothbrush should be held at an angle, bristles directed to the area where your teeth and gums meet. The brush should move in a circular, back and forth motion. Make sure to brush for two minutes, including your tongue, the outside, and inside surfaces of your teeth. Use a soft-bristled brush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Brush two times a day -- in the morning and at night.
- Use fluoride-containing products. Fluoride helps prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
- Remember to floss. Flossing is just as vital as brushing your teeth. Doing this can stimulate the gums, lessen plaque, and likewise decrease inflammation in the area.
- Gargle with mouthwash. Rinsing your mouth with mouthwash could help re-mineralize the teeth, lessen mouth acidity, and clean hard-to-reach spaces in your mouth.
- Keep yourself hydrated with plain water. Drinking water could rinse off leftover debris from the food you consumed. It likewise keeps your mouth moist, which lessens the buildup of plaque, reduces your risk of developing cavities and gum disease, and benefits your overall health.
- Lessen your consumption of acidic and sugary foods. These types of foods could wear down the teeth enamel and cause decay.
- If you use tobacco-containing products, stop. These could discolor your teeth and pose a negative impact on your overall health.
Is Your Mouth Healthy?
Various signs could tell you if you’ve been taking proper care of your mouth, such as the following:
- Your gums are a healthy-looking, pink, and feel firm to the touch.
- Your teeth are set securely in your gums and don’t wriggle.
- Your gums are fit firmly throughout your teeth.
- Your teeth are clear of stained or damaged areas.
- Your teeth are shiny.
When Should You See Your Dentist?
The American Dental Associations strongly recommends that you schedule a meeting with your dentist at Salem, NH, at least twice a year for professional cleanings and oral health exams. Beyond that, you should see your dentist whenever you have a dental emergency.
For More Tips on Caring for Your Oral Health, Contact Us
Dial (603) 893-4538 to arrange an appointment with one of our dentists here at Stiles Family Dentistry in Salem, NH.