Posts for tag: jaw pain
What your dentists in Salem want you to know
Jaw pain can affect you at any moment. Whether it’s a sharp, stabbing pain or a dull throbbing ache, jaw pain can be debilitating. You may experience headaches or earaches along with the jaw pain. So what is causing your jaw pain? That’s a good question and one that the dentists at Stiles Family Dentistry in Salem, NH want to help answer.
There are a few issues which could be causing your jaw pain. It’s important to identify the cause in order to develop the correct treatment plan to reduce or eliminate your pain.
One of the most common causes of jaw pain is grinding and clenching. If you snore, or suffer from sleep apnea, you may also be grinding your teeth at night too! If you first experience jaw pain when you wake up, chances are you are grinding your teeth at night.
Night grinding affects your jaws, causing inflammation, swelling and pain. It also causes excessive tooth wear. The best thing you can do is visit your dentist for a custom-fit nightguard or night splint. These devices help to prevent wear on your teeth.
Another common cause of jaw pain is temporomandibular joint misalignment. Your temporomandibular joint, also called the TMJ, is a unique joint because it slides back and forth to help you open and close your jaws. It can become dislocated or misaligned easily, resulting in increased wear on the joint, inflammation, swelling and pain.
A visit to your dentists at Stiles Family Dentistry can help with TMJ issues. They can recommend several effective treatments for your jaw pain related to TMJ. Common treatments include thermal therapy, night splints custom-made to fit your jaws, prescription anti-inflammatory and pain medications.
If you are suffering from painful jaws, suffer no more! Instead, get some relief by calling the dentists at Stiles Family Dentistry in Salem, NH. Take charge of your pain by calling today!
Dealing with jaw pain due to a TMJ disorder? Find out how our Salem, NH dentists can help.
Are you suffering from chronic jaw pain? Do you notice that your jaws ache when you wake up? Do you notice frequent headaches in the morning? Then your jaw pain could be caused by a TMJ disorder, a condition that affects how the jaw joint and muscles function. Our Salem, NH family dentists Dr. Nicholas Papapetros and Dr. Paul Masterson are here to tell you ways to eliminate your TMJ-related jaw pain.
If you are dealing with symptoms for more than two weeks then this is something you should discuss with our Salem, NH general dentists. Of course, there are a variety of ways to address your pain from the comfort of your own home:
- Try over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen, which can reduce any pain or jaw swelling.
- Apply a warm compress to the side of the jaw that is in pain for up to 20 minutes at a time several times a day.
- Alter your diet to remove certain hard foods or foods that require you to open your jaw too wide. Opt for softer foods and always cut foods into bite-size pieces, which will be more manageable.
- Stay away from hard candies or chewing gum, which can stretch out the mouth too wide and exacerbate your condition.
- It might sound silly but talk to us about certain mouth exercises you can perform every day to help improve muscle strength and retrain the muscles.
- If your TMJ disorder is due to anxiety it’s a good time to find outlets to get rid of stress, including meditation or performing daily relaxation exercises.
If you don’t notice an improvement in your symptoms then we may need to consider other options including wearing a night splint or mouth guard. Certain prescription medications may also be used to combat TMJ-related jaw pain. Very rarely is surgery necessary unless no other treatment options provide the relief you need.
The dentists at Stiles Family Dentistry in Salem, NH are here to make sure that your smile always stays healthy. Pain should never be something that you have to put up with. If you are suffering from jaw pain then it’s time you got the relief you need.