Posts for tag: tmj
Dealing with jaw pain due to a TMJ disorder? Find out how our Salem, NH dentists can help.
Are you suffering from chronic jaw pain? Do you notice that your jaws ache when you wake up? Do you notice frequent headaches in the morning? Then your jaw pain could be caused by a TMJ disorder, a condition that affects how the jaw joint and muscles function. Our Salem, NH family dentists Dr. Nicholas Papapetros and Dr. Paul Masterson are here to tell you ways to eliminate your TMJ-related jaw pain.
If you are dealing with symptoms for more than two weeks then this is something you should discuss with our Salem, NH general dentists. Of course, there are a variety of ways to address your pain from the comfort of your own home:
- Try over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen, which can reduce any pain or jaw swelling.
- Apply a warm compress to the side of the jaw that is in pain for up to 20 minutes at a time several times a day.
- Alter your diet to remove certain hard foods or foods that require you to open your jaw too wide. Opt for softer foods and always cut foods into bite-size pieces, which will be more manageable.
- Stay away from hard candies or chewing gum, which can stretch out the mouth too wide and exacerbate your condition.
- It might sound silly but talk to us about certain mouth exercises you can perform every day to help improve muscle strength and retrain the muscles.
- If your TMJ disorder is due to anxiety it’s a good time to find outlets to get rid of stress, including meditation or performing daily relaxation exercises.
If you don’t notice an improvement in your symptoms then we may need to consider other options including wearing a night splint or mouth guard. Certain prescription medications may also be used to combat TMJ-related jaw pain. Very rarely is surgery necessary unless no other treatment options provide the relief you need.
The dentists at Stiles Family Dentistry in Salem, NH are here to make sure that your smile always stays healthy. Pain should never be something that you have to put up with. If you are suffering from jaw pain then it’s time you got the relief you need.